Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day Four - You know what's really cool? NATURAL HISTORY FOO'S!


Ok, so a lil Modern English lesson for ya...

          1) If you come down here, do yourself a favor and check out the Natural History Museum…AH-MA-ZING.

There’s dinosaur skeletons all over. There are models of little velociraptors and creepy dinosaur heads. And best of all…A LIFE SCALE TYRANNOSAURUS REX MODEL!!!

And do you know what’s even cooler?!

THAT’S ONLY ONE ROOM OF THIS EPIC PLACE!!!

I know insane right?! There’s a mammal room with a giant life-sized model of a blue whale, which is insane to even comprehend. There’s an Earth science room, where in one section they replicate the convenience store from the Kobe, Japan earthquake in 1995. There’s a room dedicated to creepy crawly bugs, the study of evolution, models of lions, hyenas, polar bears, and even a bird room that has dodo replicas!! It was the bees knees peeps and I’m sure I’m forgetting something. You gotta check this place out!! Oh, AND  IT'S FREE!!!

Don't have a heart attack!! But check out the website:
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/

Once I get a card reader, I’ll totally post some pics.

Well after that Aissa took me to one of her favorite cookie places, called Ben’s Cookies. There sign made me laugh because it had a picture from Quentin Blake, which is one of Roald Dahl’s regular artists. My brother and I were never big fans of the work, so seeing that made me think of him haha. We took our sweet treats down the street to a Starbucks nearby and talked. (Cookie's were SO GOOD btdubbs) Aissa unfortunately had work in a bit, but she got the solid idea to take me along and give me a quick tour of her offices. She works for a British QVC. The bus ride was interesting, I got see another totally different part of London, it was definitely older and reminded of how Tucson is separated into different parts, newer and older, richer and poorer. 

So I don’t know if any of you have any preconceived notions of what it’s like to work at pay-TV channel. But that shit is INTENSE. People are all over the place, making schedules, talking sales from the night before, making sure nothing interesting is on during their time slots so people will watch more.  Wow, I don’t know if I can ever complain about my job again haha. It was super interesting and I met some of Aissa’s coworkers who were all very nice, some a bit more angrier than others, but still nice haha.

Sit-Up TV:

Sian soon met up with us and we unfortunately had to part ways. Sian asked me what I was hungry for and it made me think of something Aissa told me when  I first got here:

Modern English Lesson #2

2) BRITISH PEOPLE LOVE CHICKEN…and you know which franchise they’re obsessed with? That’s right KFC people; the Colonel is overseas and taking charge. CRAZY RIGHT?!


 I told Sian something with chicken would be cool and her eyes lit up. She decided to take me to this huge restaurant chain here called ‘Nandos’, which is a super-quality chicken joint with some Spanish flair. Supposedly everybody from England eats here, and it’s almost an English right of passage. They have punch cards that when you fill out, you get a free chicken, and people sell it on ebay just to get cash. Yeah, that’s how much people here love Nandos, that’s how much people here love their chicken.

Modern English Lesson #3

3  3) You wanna be English, EAT AT NANDOS.


Well dinner was absolutely delicious and Sian and I decided to catch a movie. And to both our luck, ‘Paul’ was playing (I don’t even think it’s come out in the states yet!) We bought our tickets and decided to walk around a bit. Sian showed me all clothes places they had. One place that really made me laugh was this clothes store that sold food while you shopped…Can you imagine going to Macy’s and ordering a burger while trying on a swanky new pair of pants or colorful new dress?…You’re right I can’t either. There’s a giant Best Buy place called HMV (DVDs GALORE). A store that appeals to people called Chav’s, which I found out means it appeals to wigga-ware, purty sad. They had a really big Lego store, but it was closing as we were walking by. 

The movie was getting ready to start though, and we picked up some popcorn and found our seats. Oddly enough, they kept playing promos to visit Canada, I can tell you honestly, it didn’t make me want to visit there, in fact it just annoyed the shit out of me. Speaking of annoying, they are promoting the heck out of the Farrelly Bros. flick ‘Hall Pass’ over here and it looks f’n TERRIBLE. Who do I need to find and threaten to make this stop?

Well for those interested, ‘Paul’ was the shiiiiiit!!! For those who love Simon Pegg and Nick Frost movies, you’ll totally dig it. Its bite isn’t as hard as the other flicks, and that’s probably because it wasn’t directed by Edgar Wright, but it’s still a very sweet movie and fun as hell. Check it out!!!


After the movie, Sian and I chilled for a bit and I got some ice cream. It was kind of weird, I don’t think I’ve bought ice cream since working at the store. And while it was tasty, I definitely think my serving skills beat the crap out of that stand haha.

Sian and I were lucky walking back to the tube, we barely missed the rain and we actually got the last one headed to our area. Getting back we just chilled, and I finished ‘Blacksad’. (SO GOOD!!! I WANT MORE!!!) We waited for Aissa to get back, and once she did everyone had a quick drink, (I think I had water) and we chatted till the sun came up.

Here’s to late nights and good early morning talks, I’m looking at you Nick and Mikey Mike Joyner haha.

Till Next Time,
Toby

No comments:

Post a Comment